We are your source for obtaining all you will need for your concealed handgun license


No permit or license is required to own any handgun or long gun in the state of Texas. Concealed carry, however, is by permit only. Non-residents can also apply for a permit.

Texas has Reciprocity Agreements with: Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Arizona, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Colorado, Montana, Georgia, North Dakota, Missouri, Virginia, Michigan, Mississippi,
Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Alaska, Pennsylvania and Wyoming.

Getting Your Concealed Handgun License


To qualify for a Texas CHL you must:

  1. Be 21 years old. (Members and former members of the armed forces must be 18.)

  2. Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.

  3. Not be under a protective order.

  4. Not be chemically dependent.

  5. Not be of unsound mind.

  6. Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, student loans, etc.

  7. Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.

  8. Complete required training.

More information on the specifics of qualifying are available on the Texas Department of Public Safety site.

Applying for the License

There are two preliminary steps to the process of obtaining a concealed handgun license, completing an application and taking a training course. These can be concurrent or you can do either one first.

Completing an Application. There are two ways to approach this part of the process:

    1. Submitting a request by mail:

  • Your instructor will have application packages for mail submission

  • You will fill out the forms in the package during class.

  • All forms will be notarized during class.

  • Passport photos will be taken during class

  • Fingerprints will be taken during class on the FBI and TDPS cards.

  • If you have questions your training course instructor should be able to help

    1. Submitting a request by internet:

Visit the Concealed Handgun Licensing & Instructor Certification Site at http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/chl/common


You will need:

        1. Your Social Security Number.

        2. Your Texas Driver License or Texas Identification card.

        3. A valid credit card. (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express)

Complete the online process.

      • DPS will send you the application forms to complete. The forms available through CHL instructors cannot be substituted.

      • If you have questions call DPS at (800) 224-5744.

Taking the Training Course 

Taking the training course will require 10 to 15 hours, and includes a written examination and a shooting practical. You must pass both with a score of 70% or better.

      • The written exam covers law, nonviolent conflict resolution, and handgun use and storage. It is not mainly about shooting.

      • The shooting practical requires you to fire fifty rounds (slow fire) from a handgun of .32 caliber or greater, 20 rounds at three yards, 20 rounds at seven yards, and 10 at fifteen yards. If you qualify with a semi-auto you will be able to carry a semi automatic or a revolver. If you qualify with a revolver you are only certified to carry a revolver or derringer.

After you pass both tests the instructor will issue two copies of Form TR100, which you must both sign.

      Now itís time to Submit your Application

    • Make sure all the forms that came in the application package are correctly completed.

    • Include the first copy of the Form TR100. Do not send in the second copy.

    • If you have not paid online, you may send a personal check, cashier's check, or money order for the license fee. You may pay cash at DPS headquarters in Austin. NOTE: It is a very bad idea to bounce a check on the Texas DPS.

    • We recommend making a copy of everything and sending it certified mail or return receipt requested.

    • Send the package to DPS. Currently, there is a huge back log of applications being processed and time to receive the license from TDPS is running 6 to 7 months (4 months for renewals).

    • When you receive your Concealed Handgun License check it over to make sure the information is correct.

If you need to modify your license to change your name or address or to go from an NSA (non semi-auto) to an SA (semi-auto) license, or replace a lost or destroyed license, we have the forms online

    Home |  About Us  |  Services  |Merchandise  |   Calendar  |  Contact Us  |

Web Site Design, Search Engine Optimization, Content, and Management by InFlight WebSites

   ©2009 texasconcealedhandgunlicense.us, All Rights Reserved